Saturday, November 5, 2011

Birthday

I was blessed to have another birthday this week.  As I look back on this past year, so much has changed in my life!  My dear grandmother died after a wonderful, full 96 years of living on this earth.  My parents were killed on the day after Easter.  My daughter and her husband gave me a beautiful grandson.  (I just wish they lived a bit closer.  I don't get enough "Nana" time with him.)  My other daughter gave me a gorgeous granddaughter.  So many changes and those are just the highlights! 

All of kids and grand kids came over today to wish me happy birthday.  I love having them all here!  I just wish we could hang out together more often.  It really drove home to me how short time is. 

Last year I visited Mom & Dad around my birthday and Mom made me two (count 'em - 2!) lemon meringue pies!  My favorite and Mom made the best lemon pies ever!  More importantly, we had a wonderful visit.  Mom loved having her children and grandchildren come to visit.  Now I wish I had visited them more often.  Like all of you, I cannot go back and do things differently.  I can only change what I do from this day forward.

We all have the same amount of time every day.  1,440 minutes per day each and every day.  What am I doing with the time God is giving me?  In my Bible study this afternoon we talked about the importance of growing our relationship with God.  The only way to do that is with time.  Time spent in prayer and in His Word. 

Time is the most precious commodity that we are given.  Yet, ironically time means nothing to God.  Blink and our time here on earth is over.  Am I using my time in obedience to God? 

I Corinthians 7:29-31 (The Message)
I do want to point out, friends, that time is of the essence. There is no time to waste, so don't complicate your lives unnecessarily. Keep it simple —in marriage, grief, joy, whatever. Even in ordinary things—your daily routines of shopping, and so on. Deal as sparingly as possible with the things the world thrusts on you. This world as you see it is on its way out.

No comments:

Post a Comment