Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Laughter

I know you have all heard the saying, "Laughter is the best medicine".  Well, it is true!  Dad was a big proponent of that idea.  I have been a bit under the weather the past couple of days and it brought to mind what all Dad had told me about the effect of humor on healing.

I know he had been studying it but I have not been able to find those notes yet.  I do know that he was convinced that laughter is one of God's greatest avenues toward healing. 

Some friends of mine have a daughter who was nearly killed in a jet ski accident.  She is now confined to a wheelchair unable to eat or even speak for over a year now.  They look forward to her day of healing.  She has already come a very long way but still has so far to go.  I am sure it is agonizing for them to see their beautiful young daughter suffering so. 

In her Caring Bridge update today my friend spoke of how she and her husband can see the effects humor is having on their daughter.  It is nothing short of miraculous really but it does not surprise me in the least.  God gave us laughter for a reason.  Please keep their daughter Danielle in your prayers!

The past few months have been very hard for me and I cannot pinpoint why but I do know that my life must go forward as it is.  I cannot change what happened.  I have replayed the day before Mom and Dad's deaths over and over in my head.  If only I could have convinced them to stay one more day!  I am sure my friends do the same thing.  If only they had not allowed their daughter on the jet ski that day.  We all have many "what if's" but none of us can go back in time.  We can only go forward.

I am reminding myself as I remind you to laugh.  No matter what your circumstances are, laugh.  Laugh whether you feel like it or not.  Even if you have to force a laugh.  Laugh with gusto.

Psalm 30:3-5  The Message (MSG)

God, my God, I yelled for help
      and you put me together.
   God, you pulled me out of the grave,
      gave me another chance at life
      when I was down-and-out.

All you saints! Sing your hearts out to God!
      Thank him to his face!
   He gets angry once in a while, but across
      a lifetime there is only love.
   The nights of crying your eyes out
      give way to days of laughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment