Thursday, January 19, 2012

Sing!

Music was always a big part of our home when I was growing up.  Dad had a beautiful tenor voice and sang often at church.  There are so many songs that I have a hard time listening to now because I remember Dad singing them.  Whenever we visited my grandparents church (my Dad's parents) Gram Willingham always (and I do mean ALWAYS) wanted Dad to sing "Home Sweet Home". 

For some reason, Mom didn't think she had a good voice but she did.  She was always singing around the house.  I loved hearing her!  I've been told that Mom's mother (my other Gram) had a great alto voice and used to sing in a quartet. I'm sad to say that I don't ever remember hearing her sing.  But her brother, my great Uncle Connie, had a wonderful bass voice.  He would sing with a men's quartet at New Home General Baptist Church in Poplar Bluff.  I loved listening to them!  They would sing peppy, old-fashioned gospel music.  Real toe tappers!

Tonight at choir practice we were singing a gospel song and it made me think of Uncle Connie's quartet.  I began wondering if all my family members who have gone on to heaven gathered to sing praises together.  What beautiful music they must be making!  I look forward to the day when I can join them in singing praises to our Lord.


Music has long been a source of comfort to me and while I may cry when singing songs like "How Great Thou Art" I still love to sing them.  The tears may roll down my cheeks but I'll continue to sing.

Isaiah 52:8-10 (The Message)

Break into song! Boom it out, ruins of Jerusalem:
   "God has comforted his people!
   He's redeemed Jerusalem!"
God has rolled up his sleeves.
   All the nations can see his holy, muscled arm.
Everyone, from one end of the earth to the other,
   sees him at work, doing his salvation work.

No comments:

Post a Comment