Sunday, November 11, 2012

Actively Waiting

I think one of the most important things I learned from Mom and Dad is that there is always more to learn.  Mom actively studied her Bible and one of her favorite ways was through Bible Study Fellowship.  Not only did she do that very intense study every week but she spent time in the Word every day.

Dad, too, spent hours every day studying and praying that God would teach him more.  They spent time in the Word together nearly every day as well.  It was important to them to remain in the Word.  Both of them would readily admit they had a lot to learn.

That is one of the beautiful things about the mystery of God.  There are so many layers to uncover!  As I have contemplated the subject of faith the past 10 days or so I have been reminded of the fact that I can never become complacent in my studies! 

I thought I knew a lot about faith.  After all, Mom & Dad taught me a lot about faith just through the way they lived their lives.  I have done my own studies on faith and I felt I had grown a lot in faith thought the past 55 years but I still have so much to learn!

After writing a few blogs recently on the subject of faith requiring both action and waiting God began speaking to me about actively waiting.  What?  Wait actively?  How does that work?

Dr Henry Blackaby said, "Biblically, waiting on the Lord is never passive; it is always active.  Waiting require us to cease our own pursuits and give God our complete attention.  We may have to give up some of the activities we have allowed to inundate our lives.  We may need to take an entire day to sit quietly before the Lord.  If we ask Him, God will show us the resources He has provided to help with the work we have been attempting on our own.  God may address feelings of guilt that have motivated us to do things that he has not asked us to do.  Jesus carried more responsibility than you do.  More people needed Him than will ever need you.  Yet He was never overwhelmed or inadequate for the task.  Now Christ offers to guide you so that you will fulfill your heavenly Father's will and gain the strength necessary for each day."

Hmm, I may be doing things, perhaps many good things, that are not things God has called me to do.  When I feel overwhelmed I really need to examine what I am doing.  Am I in God's Will for my life?  If I am doing the things God called me to do, am I trying to do it in my own strength and not actively waiting on God?

Matthew 11:28-30 (The Message)

“Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.”

No comments:

Post a Comment