Sunday, March 31, 2013

Easter

Although it was not two years ago today, it was two years ago on Easter that I last saw Mom and Dad.  I will never forget that weekend.  My kids, parents, aunt, uncle, cousins, one brother and my only grandson had gathered at my daughter's home on Saturday before Easter for lunch and an Easter egg hunt.  We had a great day together.

Yesterday we gathered again at Sarah and Troy's home.  Now I have four grandchildren instead of one.  Aunt Sis, Uncle Virgil, my kids, and my brother were again present.  We had a wonderful visit and, of course, an Easter egg hunt.

Two years ago this Easter my Dad and I attended sunrise service together.  I have not been able to bring myself to go to sunrise service since then.  Mom and Dad attended Easter services with us and we then went home where I grilled lamb chops.  Mom commented that she had never had lamb before.  She loved the size of the lamb chop and asked how I seasoned them.  Later I found a little notebook she carried and she had written a shopping list with lamb chops and the seasonings I had mentioned.  I knew she had to have written that in the car on their way home later that Easter Sunday.  I have fixed lamb chops on Easter since then.

We had an awesome worship service that day so it was fitting that we had equally awesome worship services today but when we sang "How Great Thou Art" I lost it.  The tears flowed!  Even though we did a more rocking version of the song it was the same melody and words that I heard my Dad sing so many times through the years - often with tears running down his face as he sang and Mom dabbing her eyes as she listened to him.

Two years ago Easter, I went to the jail and ministered to the ladies of cell block C.  When I got to my car afterward I had a text message from Mom.  They had made it home safe and sound.  I texted her back that 2 ladies had given their lives to the Lord that night at the jail.  She texted me back one word, "Hallelujah!".  That was the last communication I had with Mom.  How fitting!

Isaiah 53:10 (The Message)

Still, it’s what God had in mind all along,
    to crush him with pain.
The plan was that he give himself as an offering for sin
    so that he’d see life come from it—life, life, and more life.
    And God’s plan will deeply prosper through him. 


Mark 16:5-6 (New Living Translation)
 
When they entered the tomb, they saw a young man clothed in a white robe sitting on the right side. The women were shocked,  but the angel said, “Don’t be alarmed. You are looking for Jesus of Nazareth, who was crucified. He isn’t here! He is risen from the dead! Look, this is where they laid his body.

Christ is risen!
He is risen indeed! 

Hallelujah!

No comments:

Post a Comment