Sunday, April 22, 2018

Anniversary

I am in Missouri visiting my brother, Dave.  While here, I wanted to visit Mom & Dad's grave site since I will be leaving on the 24th.  April 25th is the 7th anniversary of their deaths. 

It was pouring down rain all morning - since at least 5 a.m. when I first heard it raining.  It reminded me of the week of their deaths.  It was raining so hard on April 25th, 2011 that police dogs could not get a scent.  The day of the funeral a week later it was still raining.  On Easter Sunday, April 24th, 2011, I tried to get Mom and Dad to wait until Monday to drive home but Dad wanted to get home before the predicted rains began.

After Dave, Susie and I went to church and then brunch at Mama Jeans, I went out to the cemetery to put some flowers on their graves...in the pouring rain.  First I ran into Price Cutters to get some flowers.  As I was picking out some flowers the thought struck me that Mom would have preferred that I would get flowers for her sister and best friend, my Aunt Sis rather than putting flowers at the grave site.  I made a mental note to be sure and order some flowers for Aunt Sis for Mother's Day but proceeded to purchase the flowers that I thought both Mom and Dad would like.  At the checkout the clerk said, "What pretty flowers on such a dreary day.  Is it a special occasion?"  I responded, "Yes it is," without any further explanation.

I drove to the veteran's cemetery on the south side of town as the rain continued to pelt the earth but as soon as I pulled up to section K, the rain stopped.  I got out and went to the grave, arranged the flowers and took pictures, as I do every time I take flowers there.  I cried a few tears even though I know they are in a much better place but I just miss them so much.  After a bit I made my way back to the car and pulled off.  Then it began raining again.  It rained the rest of the day.

I know God stopped the rain for me today.  It's not a big deal...I would have still done what I did had it continued to rain...but He did that for me.  That's the kind of God I serve.  One who cares about the smallest details.  That is just how He loves us.

1 John 4:16 (a) The Passion Translation

We have come into an intimate experience with God's love, and we trust in the love he has for us.  God is love!

I know I can trust Him and His love for me.  The rain stopping was a little thing but it spoke volumes to me today.  But I can only love Him because He first loved me!

1 John 4:19 English Standard Version

We love because He first loved us.  

Thank you, Lord, for loving me while I was yet a sinner!  Thank you for showing your love for me each and every day!  Help me to show Your love to others in the same way.





2 comments:

  1. We serve a marvelous God! Thank you for sharing your love for Christ through your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heidi! I appreciation you! God has certainly be good to us, hasn't He?

      Delete