Sunday, January 6, 2013

Mom's Birthday

Today is Mom's birthday.  I looked back at the blog I wrote about her last year on her birthday.  I realized in reading through it did not make the best sense.  I know I must have been emotional when I wrote it.  I hope you could figure out what I meant to say.  I have a feeling this one may not be the best written piece either but I have to say something about Mom on her special day.

Mom was a simple country girl who was very intelligent, very quiet, very loving and most of all a Godly woman.  She loved her husband and family dearly.  I think of her every day but she has been heavy on my mind all this week as her birthday was approaching.

I wish I could be half the woman she was.  As I was preparing to teach at the jail tonight I thought about what she would want me to teach.  I ended up teaching a lesson on putting faith into action, selflessly loving those around you.  I think she would have liked the lesson.

It was communion Sunday at church this morning and at the jail tonight.  The thought of Jesus' body broken for me and His blood shed for me takes on a whole new dimension for me since Mom and Dad were killed.  Because of Christ's sacrifice I know I will be reunited with them again.

I love you Mom and I am grateful for the many lessons you taught me throughout my life.  I am grateful that I was able to worship with you and cook for you the day before you died.  I am grateful that I told you I loved you as we hugged before you and Dad hit the road for Missouri.

I strive to live by the "life verses" you sent me when I was just 17 years old:

Proverbs 3:5-7 (The Message)

Trust God from the bottom of your heart;
    don’t try to figure out everything on your own.
Listen for God’s voice in everything you do, everywhere you go;
    he’s the one who will keep you on track.


Happy Birthday, Mom!  I love you!

2 comments:

  1. I love you momma ;) You are quite the woman of the Lord... You are a genuine inspiration!

    ReplyDelete