Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Arrest

At a press conference yesterday, the Greene County sheriff and the prosecuting attorney announced they had filed charges against Jose Huckleberry, Jr for Mom & Dad's murder. Of course, he has not been proven guilty but according to court documents, he did confess to entering the home to rob it and participating in the murders.  It is my personal believe that more arrests will follow but have no idea as to how many others may have been involved.  Since the investigation is still active, the detectives cannot tell us a lot about the case and that is fine.  I do not want the case to be jeopardized.  I just want the truth to prevail.

The sheriff was good to talk to us as a family before they actually filed the charges and held the news conference.  I could not be more pleased with the concern and professionalism that the detectives have shown us.  They have worked relentlessly on the case and are still plugging away on it.  Thank you just does not seem adequate but it is all I have to offer them.  Words cannot express my gratitude. 

It is good to see this arrest but it is bittersweet.  As I look at the picture of this young man (only 25 years old!) my heart breaks for him and his family.  Jose is someones son, grandson, nephew, and perhaps, brother.  How do they feel?  What is going through their heats and minds right now?


I know without a doubt that Mom and Dad would reach out to them if they could.  They would offer forgiveness.  I know I have to do the same.  I pray Jose will experience the peace of God's love and forgiveness.  I pray for comfort for his family.  I pray that God will help me to never harbor hatred or unforgiveness.  After all, God is already the victor.  Satan may think he has won this battle, but I have news for him.  He has lost big time!

Under old testament law we are told an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth but Jesus has fulfilled that law and now calls us to a new standard.  Here is what He had to say about it:

Matthew 5:42-48 (The Message)

 “Here’s another old saying that deserves a second look: ‘Eye for eye, tooth for tooth.’ Is that going to get us anywhere? Here’s what I propose: ‘Don’t hit back at all.’ If someone strikes you, stand there and take it. If someone drags you into court and sues for the shirt off your back, giftwrap your best coat and make a present of it. And if someone takes unfair advantage of you, use the occasion to practice the servant life. No more tit-for-tat stuff. Live generously.
  “You’re familiar with the old written law, ‘Love your friend,’ and its unwritten companion, ‘Hate your enemy.’ I’m challenging that. I’m telling you to love your enemies. Let them bring out the best in you, not the worst. When someone gives you a hard time, respond with the energies of prayer, for then you are working out of your true selves, your God-created selves. This is what God does. He gives his best—the sun to warm and the rain to nourish—to everyone, regardless: the good and bad, the nice and nasty. If all you do is love the lovable, do you expect a bonus? Anybody can do that. If you simply say hello to those who greet you, do you expect a medal? Any run-of-the-mill sinner does that.
 “In a word, what I’m saying is, Grow up. You’re kingdom subjects. Now live like it. Live out your God-created identity. Live generously and graciously toward others, the way God lives toward you.”

What an amazing, victorious life our Lord calls us to live!  I love you, Mom and Dad!  I hope to do you proud!  Jose, I am praying for you and your family.  Our Lord reigns!

No comments:

Post a Comment