Sunday, February 17, 2013

Peace

People often tell me how amazing it is that I am so at peace with Mom and Dad's horrendous deaths.  Now that an arrest has been made people are surprised that I still portray peace when I am confronted with forgiving the young man who has confessed to participating in their murders.

I truly am at peace (at least most of the time) and it is all because of God.  He is the God of peace.  His peace can soothe a raging soul but we have to let Him.  Peace comes from abiding in Him.  Peace has been popping up at me in Scripture lately.  Actually, just the past couple of days. It is incredible how that happens but, again, it is all God!

Isaiah 26:3 (New Living Translation)

You will keep in perfect peace
    all who trust in you,
    all whose thoughts are fixed on you!


God will keep in perfect peace all whose thoughts are fixed on Him!  Not just peace but perfect peace.  You cannot get any better than that!  It sounds pretty easy on the surface but the important part is keeping our thoughts focused on God.  I cannot do that if I am filling my mind with garbage.  What am I focusing on when I am watching TV or surfing the internet?  What books am I reading?  How much time am I spending in prayer?  How much of my prayer time is spent listening to God?  Hmm...

John 16:33  (Amplified Bible)
 I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world. [I have deprived it of power to harm you and have conquered it for you.]

In Jesus we can have perfect peace and confidence!  Notice we are not promised an easy life.  As a matter of fact we are told we will have trials and frustrations.  God is so open with us!  No matter what comes my way if I remain in Christ, I will have peace.  What a promise!

Romans 8:5-6 (New Living Translation)

Those who are dominated by the sinful nature think about sinful things, but those who are controlled by the Holy Spirit think about things that please the Spirit.  So letting your sinful nature control your mind leads to death. But letting the Spirit control your mind leads to life and peace.

We have to think about things that please the Holy Spirit.  In order to do that we have to let the Spirit control our minds.  It is our choice but the outcome on one hand is death and on the other it is life and peace.  That is a no brainer!

There are many other Scriptures I have "happened" to come across in the past two days alone that deal with peace but I would just like to leave you with one last one.  I says it so well.  I challenge you to join me in meditating on these verses.  Look them up in other translations.  Write them out on index cards or post-it notes and read them over and over again this week.  Then think about what you are thinking about!

Philippians 4:4-8 (New Living Translation)

Always be full of joy in the Lord. I say it again—rejoice! Let everyone see that you are considerate in all you do. Remember, the Lord is coming soon.
Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.
And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.

No comments:

Post a Comment