Saturday, February 4, 2012

Kate

My sweet sister-in-law, Kate, went to be with Jesus tonight.  I am so grateful that I was able to make it to Colorado in time to talk to her, hold her hand, and brush her hair out of her eyes. 

I first met Kate in 1985 when she and my brother became engaged.  We bonded instantly.  Even though we lived nearly a 1000 miles apart and didn't get to see each other often we had a special connection that I cannot explain but one that I am very blessed to have experienced.

Kate was so compassionate.  She was always more concerned about me than she was about herself.  I know she endured so much pain for many years as the disease progressed.  She lost the use of her arms and legs - her entire body betrayed her!  Yet her mind was still sharp right up to the end. 

When I would call to talk she would never complain but she would ask about me.  She would tell me she was praying for me.  I complain about the least little thing!  I certainly didn't deserve her prayers but when I would say that she would brush me off.  She kept praying.

Oh that I could have her faith and her attitude!  Tonight as we stood around her bed trying to keep her comfortable it hit me that I should ask God to allow me to have her spirit.  As Elijah passed on his spirit to Elisha, I asked God to pass her sweet spirit onto to me.  Oh that He would so bless me!

I will miss you Kate but we will spend eternity together!  We will swim in the Emerald Sea and dance on streets of gold!  Enjoy your party with Mom & Dad tonight!  I love you!

Psalm 91:14-16 (The Message)

"If you'll hold on to me for dear life," says God,
      "I'll get you out of any trouble.
   I'll give you the best of care
      if you'll only get to know and trust me.
   Call me and I'll answer, be at your side in bad times;
      I'll rescue you, then throw you a party.
   I'll give you a long life,
      give you a long drink of salvation!"

No comments:

Post a Comment