Friday, February 3, 2012

Stephen

My brother, Stephen, is an amazing man!  The things he has been selflessly doing for his wife Kate is nothing short of saintliness!  Because her muscles have deteriorated so, she has to be turned 3-6 times every night.  Stephen does this.  If she needs to use the bathroom or get a drink, Stephen helps her.

Then he gets up around 3:30 a.m. to begin getting ready for work.  He has a long commute and he gets Kate cleaned up, fed, and situated for her day before he leaves.  While Stephen is at work my nephew, Daniel, takes care of his Mom.  Daniel is 23 with a severe form of Cerebral Palsy.  He's loving, kind, and strong - in many ways!

When Stephen gets home from work, he prepares dinner and then does all that needs to be done for Kate.  Around 7:30 or so, he gets her ready for bed.  He tends to her during the night then gets up about 3:30 to start his day all over again.

On his days off he does the grocery shopping, cleans house, mows the lawn (or shovels the snow!), fixes whatever needs fixing, prepares meals, gets Kate ready and takes her to church.  He does all that needs to be done for her, day and night.  He then gets up at 3:30 Monday morning and starts all over again. 

I read a study recently (and I wish I could remember where I read it) that said when a spouse becomes severely ill and requires much care, a very high percentage of the time (again, I can't remember the exact number) men are more likely to leave their wives rather than stick around to take care of her.  So much for "in sickness and in health" huh?

Not Stephen.  He selflessly and cheerfully cares for Kate.  He dotes on her.  He jokes with her.  He prays with her.  He includes her in as many activities as he can.  He tells her how much he loves her!

He has laid up his treasures in heaven and put his faith into action every single day.  Kate is on total life support now.  Stephen and Kate face a very difficult decision now.  I am so glad I am here for them.  I love them both so much. 


Matthew 25:34-40 (The Message)

"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Enter, you who are blessed by my Father! Take what's coming to you in this kingdom. It's been ready for you since the world's foundation. And here's why:

   I was hungry and you fed me,
   I was thirsty and you gave me a drink,
   I was homeless and you gave me a room,
   I was shivering and you gave me clothes,
   I was sick and you stopped to visit,
   I was in prison and you came to me.'


"Then those 'sheep' are going to say, 'Master, what are you talking about? When did we ever see you hungry and feed you, thirsty and give you a drink? And when did we ever see you sick or in prison and come to you?' Then the King will say, 'I'm telling the solemn truth: Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was me—you did it to me.'

No comments:

Post a Comment