Monday, January 25, 2016

Jury Selection

Note: I wrote this blog last Thursday but did not post it yet. I was unsure if it was appropriate since the trial had not yet begun. I feel okay about it now that the trial is underway.

My Mom's sister, Marilyn Edwards (but she's always been Aunt Sis to me), my brother, Dave, and I went to the jury selection yesterday. It was a very long day. It began about 8:30 and jurors were finally sent home about 7:30 last night. By the end of the evening, they had selected 12 jurors and 3 alternates. 

I am glad we went. Although we had no input (and certainly did not expect to) it was interesting to see how the entire process went. I have never been called to jury duty and had no idea how a jury was actually selected.

A large jury pool had been called - 80 people! I felt so badly for them as they sat for hours on end being questioned about various views and life experiences in front of complete strangers. It just did not seem fair to me that 80 people had to give up a very long day and be put through this. Aunt Sis and Dave both reminded me that I should not feel bad for them. It is our civic duty as citizens of a free country!

There were a few that you could tell were bent on getting out of jury duty, especially when they were told that the trial would take about a week. I have to say, I do not blame them. As I said, I have never been called to jury duty but if I had been, I probably would have felt the same way. I view it much differently now!

There were a few who said that because of their religious views they could not pass judgment on someone else.  One said that he believed judgment was for the Lord.  The prosecutor responded with, "You do realize that is a different type of judgment, don't you?"  His reply, "Judgment is judgment." So, do those who believe that way also believe that we should not have laws? If no one will judge whether a law was broken or not, what is the point of the law?

Romans 3:31 (New Living Translation)

Well then if we emphasize faith, does this mean that we can forget about the law? Of course not! In fact, only when we have faith do we truly fulfill the law.

How would we know we needed forgiveness if we did not have the law?  The law shows us our shortcomings.  Jesus offers us amnesty! But friend, rest assured, judgment is coming!

In Bible Study Fellowship we are studying the book of Revelation. It has a lot to say about God's judgment! It is not a judgment I want to face without the blood of Jesus covering me! When you see the way the book of Revelation describes the coming judgments of God, you would not want to wish that on your worst enemies!

Revelation 20:12 (New International Version)

I saw the dead, both great and small, standing before God's throne. And the books were opened, including the Book of Life. And the dead were judged according to what they had done, as recorded in the books.

The Day of the LORD is near! Do not wait until it is too late to come under the covering the blood of Jesus' poured out for you! 

And if you are ever called for jury duty, please go with an open mind and a willing heart! 

No comments:

Post a Comment