Saturday, September 10, 2011

Anniversary

Today is my parents wedding anniversary.  They were married September 10, 1952 at New Home General Baptist Church in Poplar Bluff, MO.  Dad's cousin, Linuel Cravens, was the pastor of Mom's church.  Dad was home on leave from the Navy.  They met, dated briefly, and married.  Mom once told me she had left Butler County only once in her life before she married Dad.  That was on her Senior Trip from high school.  After she married Dad, she was in for a lifetime of adventure. 

Following the wedding she packed up and moved to San Diego where Dad was stationed.  Dad got on a ship leaving Mom there.  Of course, he came back.  Through the course of their lives they served God on a ship in the Pacific ocean, in California, Indiana, Missouri, Guam, Florida, Jamaica, India, Philippians, Yap, Saipan, Honduras, Canada, and China.  And those are just the ones I know about.  They didn't spend a lot of time in some of these places but in others they were there for years.  One thing is certain, they were never bored!

My brother, Doug was born in 1954.  Dave was born in 1955 and my 3rd brother, Stephen, was born on their anniversary in 1956.  I remember one year we were celebrating Stephens birthday with a dinner.  Of course, it was also their anniversary.  David piped up and asked, "Why did you get married on Stephens birthday?"  Laughter erupted.  There was a lot of laughter in our home.

Through the years, their love for the Lord and for each other grew by leaps and bounds.  When they were approaching their 50th wedding anniversary, Mom told me she had no idea what love was when she married Dad.  She said, "As much as I thought I loved him on our wedding day, it pales in comparison to how much I love him now."  They were so very much in love!

About a year or so ago, my Dad told me he was having his quiet time one morning (which was something he did every morning!) and as he was praising God with tears flowing down his cheeks, he told God he loved Him more than anyone or anything in the world.  Dad said immediately God spoke to him and said, "No you don't."

Dad was taken aback but insisted, "Oh, yes, Lord!  I love You more than anything or anyone in the world!"  Again God was quick to answer, "You don't love me more than you love Helen."

Dad told me he fell to his knees and repented, agreeing with God.  He did love Mom more than he loved God.  He said he promised God he would work at loving God more than he loved Mom.  I don't know if he accomplished that but I feel sure that God won't mind.

Ephesians 5:29-33 (The Message)

 No one abuses his own body, does he? No, he feeds and pampers it. That's how Christ treats us, the church, since we are part of his body. And this is why a man leaves father and mother and cherishes his wife. No longer two, they become "one flesh." This is a huge mystery, and I don't pretend to understand it all. What is clearest to me is the way Christ treats the church. And this provides a good picture of how each husband is to treat his wife, loving himself in loving her, and how each wife is to honor her husband.

Happy Anniversary, Mom & Dad!  I know you're celebrating together in heaven.

And a very Happy Birthday wish to you, Stephen!  Your favorite sister loves you!

No comments:

Post a Comment