Tuesday, April 17, 2012

My Awesome Big Brother, Doug

I know I have not written for a long while.  It's not because I have not wanted to but rather I just felt that I could not bring myself to write.  It dawned on me tonight as I listened to a Spirit filled Christian speaker that I really should write about my brother, Doug.  I said, okay, God.  I can do that.  So here I am writing again.

Doug's birthday was two weeks ago.  I am so grateful to have him as my oldest brother.  I do not say that just to point out that he is old (since all my brothers and I are only a year apart that is nothing now that we are all in our 50's!) but rather to give you an idea of our relationship.

There is a home movie that shows us all dressed up in our Easter best.  I was about 4 or 5 so Doug would have been about 7 or 8.  Doug was quite busy trying to get all of us lined up and looking proper.  Once he felt we were ship shape, he popped into the line with us and beamed toward Dad and the camera.  

That was Doug and typical of the oldest child.  Always trying to keep us in line.  What a job he had, too!  I know we were not an easy bunch to keep straight.  David was so mischievous and Stephen would often follow whatever Dave suggested.  Of course, I was a perfect angel.  Ha!

Doug was wonderful student.  He set the bar high for all of us to follow!  He played the piano well and practiced diligently.  Since I was the only other one to take piano that set a wonderful example for me!  I remember once when Doug was in high school (I think he was junior).  He was playing in the jazz band during a basketball game.  A man sitting by me in the bleachers said, "What is that kid doing in the band?  He should be playing basketball!"  Of course, Doug was tall but it actually made me mad.  Just because he was tall it certainly did not mean that his musical talents should be set aside to play ball.  I always regretted that I did not say anything to that man. 

Today, Doug is married to a very sweet, godly woman.  He is a proud and loving father to four extremely gifted children.  His oldest child is about to graduate with her Doctorate!  Needless to say, I am very proud of my brother.  I know Mom and Dad were proud of him, too.

He was such a rock through the ordeal of Mom and Dad's death.  He made many trips from his home in Texas to help with all the work that had to be done.  I do not know what we would have done without him.

Thank you, Doug, for always being there for me when it counts the most!  I know I do not say it enough but I do love you!


Proverbs 17:17 (New Living Translation)

A friend is always loyal,
    and a brother is born to help in time of need.

No comments:

Post a Comment