Monday, August 29, 2011

Free

When I survey the wondrous cross on which the Prince of glory died, my richest gain I count but loss, and pour contempt on all my pride...

That's the beginning of beautiful song we generally sing around Easter time.  For the past several days it's been running through my mind when I'm lying in bed at night and when I first wake up in the morning.  But it's not the first verse that's stuck there.  It's the end:

Love so amazing, so divine, demands my soul my life, my all.

How else could I possibly view Christ's love for me?  I am compelled to give my all for the Master.  After all, He willingly gave His life for me.  Willingly suffered, and bled, and died.  The song is based on Paul's writings.

Galatians  6:14-16 (The Message):
For my part, I am going to boast about nothing but the Cross of our Master, Jesus Christ. Because of that Cross, I have been crucified in relation to the world, set free from the stifling atmosphere of pleasing others and fitting into the little patterns that they dictate. Can't you see the central issue in all this? It is not what you and I do—submit to circumcision, reject circumcision. It is what God is doing, and he is creating something totally new, a free life! All who walk by this standard are the true Israel of God—his chosen people. Peace and mercy on them! 

But the truly amazing thing is that Christ died in order to set me free.  What a paradox!  I am freed from the bondage of sin and the powers of hell only to become a slave to Christ.  So what is the good news about that?  Set free only to be compelled to give my life and my all.  I can't explain it.  It's something that must be experienced in order to comprehend it.

Galatians 5:1, 13, 14 (The Message)
Christ has set us free to live a free life. So take your stand! Never again let anyone put a harness of slavery on you.  It is absolutely clear that God has called you to a free life. Just make sure that you don't use this freedom as an excuse to do whatever you want to do and destroy your freedom. Rather, use your freedom to serve one another in love; that's how freedom grows. For everything we know about God's Word is summed up in a single sentence: Love others as you love yourself. That's an act of true freedom.

Let God transform you, then fly!  Soar! 
Free at last!

No comments:

Post a Comment