Sunday, August 14, 2011

Silence, Part 2

On Friday, I mentioned hearing Mama Maggie Gobran at the summit last week (see post "Tough Calling").  In her talk she said one of the best ways to hear from God is through silence.

If you recall I wrote about silence on August 8th.  I mentioned how God had been speaking to me about the importance of being silent before Him.  It's a big part of waiting on God.  I thought I was doing good to be silent for 15 or 20 minutes at a time but Mama Maggie talked about God calling her to silence for a day at a time...to start.  Then she would be silent for 2-3 days at time.  Then a week or two at a time until she got to the point where she would be silent for a month at a time.  All in an effort to draw near to God.  To hear the voice of God.  To gain direction from God.  To glorify and praise Him.

Wow!  That takes it to a whole new level!  Since I sell real estate, I don't know how I would do business and be silent for days at a time but even if I didn't work at all, I don't think I could accomplish that.  But I can do more than 15 or 20 minutes!  I believe that's what God cares about.  Starting where I am and pushing it a bit further.  What can I give him today?

That is true praise.  True worship.  True sacrifice.

I will do my best to be silent before God.  No TV, no radio, no iPod, no talking, no Facebook, no e-mailing...well you get my point.  I have no idea how I'll be able to do with this.  I'm one to always have something going.  Music, writing someone, talking on the phone, singing...something.  To be honest, it was a stretch for me to do 15-20 minutes once or twice a week.

Pray for me that I'll have the strength to do this!  I know God is leading me on a journey.  I know he wants me to do more in my life for Him.  I feel I need to carry on and help fill the void that is left in Mom & Dad's absence from this earth.  Even though I know I'll never come close to replacing them, I can do my small part.  Pray for me to hear from Him.  To follow His call even if it is a tough call!

I'm so grateful for all of you who lift up my family and me in your prayers as we continue the journey Mom & Dad began!

Lamentations 3:25-30 (The Message)

God proves to be good to the man who passionately waits,
   to the woman who diligently seeks.
It's a good thing to quietly hope,
   quietly hope for help from God.
It's a good thing when you're young
   to stick it out through the hard times.
When life is heavy and hard to take,
   go off by yourself. Enter the silence.
Bow in prayer. Don't ask questions:
   Wait for hope to appear.
Don't run from trouble. Take it full-face.
   The "worst" is never the worst.

No comments:

Post a Comment