Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Security

I just returned from a whirlwind trip to Springfield, Mo to get some of the things I wanted to keep from Mom and Dad's house.  My sweet, hard-working friend, Steven drove me there and did all the "real" work in loading everything up (thank you, Steven!!).

As we were finishing up a young man stopped to talk to us.  He had driven there from Texas to walk door to door and sell security systems.  He started off his spiel with, "Did you know there was a double homicide in this very neighborhood this Spring?".  Apparently he didn't do his homework well enough to realize he was at "the house". 

I think I'd rather dig ditches than to attempt to make a living preying on people's fear!  No man made security system in the world would have saved Mom & Dad that fateful morning.  The King of Kings and Lord of Lords, the Ruler of the Heavenly Armies had been protecting them their entire lives!  He did not sell them short that day either.

I remember my Grampa Willingham's faith in God's providence.  If he got sick and ended up in the hospital, it wasn't because God couldn't heal him.  It was because someone at the hospital needed to know that God loved them.  If his car broke down, it wasn't because God couldn't have kept it running.  It was because someone at the shop needed to know of God's great love for them.  Nothing happened to him by chance.  He knew God was in complete control.

Mom and Dad lived their lives the same way.  They saw God at work in even the smallest detail of their lives.  April 25, 2011 was no different.  May God receive all glory!

Psalm 91:1-3 (The Message)
 You who sit down in the High God's presence, spend the night in Shaddai's shadow,
   Say this: "God, you're my refuge.
      I trust in you and I'm safe!"
   That's right—he rescues you from hidden traps,
      shields you from deadly hazards.
   His huge outstretched arms protect you—
      under them you're perfectly safe; 


Matthew 6:33 (The Message)
 "Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes."

God is my strength.  My security.  He is in control and working in my life and yours.  Right now.

Today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment