Sunday, August 28, 2011

Problem

In one of the articles Dad wrote fairly recently, he said that we have a serious problem among Christians today.  Surprisingly, he said the problem was with the Bible.  It's not that the Bible is so difficult for us to understand and interpret.  It's not that the Bible is outdated and irrelevant to our lives today.  It's certainly not that the Bible is inaccurate.  So what's the problem?

The problem is that we do not believe it.  Consider this passage:
John 14:12-14 (New Living Translation)
“I tell you the truth, anyone who believes in me will do the same works I have done, and even greater works, because I am going to be with the Father. You can ask for anything in my name, and I will do it, so that the Son can bring glory to the Father. Yes, ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it!"

Do you believe what Jesus said?  How about this passage:
Mark 11:22-23  Then Jesus said to the disciples, “Have faith in God.  I tell you the truth, you can say  to this mountain, ‘May you be lifted up and thrown into the sea,’ and it will happen. But you must really believe it will happen and have no doubt in your heart.  I tell you, you can pray for anything, and if you believe that you’ve received it, it will be yours.

There are numerous other similar passages but I think you get the point.  Do we believe and practice what Jesus said?  Dad concluded his article with this:

Jesus clearly taught we are to be the light wherever we go and dispel darkness. He commanded us to heal the sick and cast out demons, but we have largely disregarded this repeated command.

The Kingdom of God has come. Jesus died for our salvation and has seated us with Him where we have access to our heavenly Father. Jesus sent the Holy spirit to make us to be like Jesus.
 
“...as He is, so are we in this world.” (1 John 4:17 New King James Version)  Note, “As HE IS, SO ARE WE.”   Jesus said that we are to do the works He did and even greater works (John 14:12). We are not to make excuses for the miracles in Jesus’ day (Check Barclay’s commentary concerning the feeding of the five thousand.)

For the first 300+ years of the church miracles were a common occurrence, but they did not cease. Now in these last days, God is awakening His church. Revival and miracles are spreading across the world. May we not be left behind.

I must ask myself, Do I believe?

No comments:

Post a Comment