Saturday, August 6, 2011

Wedding Day

Today is my wedding anniversary.  My husband and I were married for 25 years before we were separated.  He died a few years after that.  We had many problems but there was no doubt I loved him dearly and he loved me and our three children in the best way he knew how.

Admittedly, I had a big heads up over him in the marriage department.  My parents set as good an example of love between a man and a woman that you could find this side of heaven.  I witnessed the growth of their love throughout their lifetime.  Of course, my Mom's parents set a pretty good example for her as well.

My Gram was a farmer's wife, a nurse, a Sunday School teacher (of an adult class), a missions supporter, etc.  My grandfather (Pop) died when I was a little girl so I don't have as many memories of him.  I do know he was in church every Sunday.  He prayed before his meals.  He was extremely generous.  He kept many families alive in the depression years by giving away much of the food he worked so hard to raise.  Every Sunday after church, he would invite many people over for dinner.  For most, it was the only real meal they ate that week.

My Dad had a fantastic example of Godly love in his parents and his grandparents.  Dad's mom died when he was a little boy.  My grandfather remarried and his young wife pulled the family together and took care of all of their children always treating them all as her own (she had 2 children, Grampa had 6 children and later they had one together - a real "Yours, Mine, & Ours" long before the movie came out!).  My dad also spent a lot of time with his grandmother during those tough years.  My great-grandfather died before I was born.  When I was about 20 I was visiting Dads Grandma (she was in her late 80's then).  I asked her how long she and Grandpa had been married.  Without hesitating she said, "It will be 75 years this June."  I said but how long were you married before he died?  She replied, "I married him until death do us part...and I'm not dead yet!"  It was then that I realized she still wore her wedding ring.  She was married whether he was with her or not.

I am so fortunate to have such a rich spiritual heritage!  It's fitting that I'll be spending this day at my oldest daughters baby shower.  She and her husband are expecting their first child, a son.  (My Dad presided over their wedding.  Unfortunately she was the only grandchild he was able to marry.)  They have chosen the name Jayden Troy.  Jayden means God has heard, God will judge, thankful.  Troy means soldier.  God has heard and blessed our family with this precious little boy.  I pray he will be thankful and a warrior for God's army!  Go get 'em, JT!

I'm blessed to already have a grandson, Kristopher (named after his grandfather, my late husband).  While he never got to meet his grandpa, he did get to spend some time with his great Granddad and Great Granny!  Grandchild number 3, a girl, is set to come into this world in November.  My family is growing!  Three beautiful children and soon three wonderful grandchildren!

What a great thing we started on August 6, 1977!

Psalm 127:3-5
Don't you see that children are God's best gift?
      the fruit of the womb his generous legacy?
   Like a warrior's fistful of arrows
      are the children of a vigorous youth.
   Oh, how blessed are you parents,
      with your quivers full of children!
   Your enemies don't stand a chance against you;
      you'll sweep them right off your doorstep.

No comments:

Post a Comment