Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Time

It's so easy to get caught up messing around on the computer, watching TV, texting, e-mailing, etc that I lose track of time and think, "I can't believe I've wasted 2 hours doing that!"  God has been stressing to me how important it is that I use my time wisely.  After all, God gives me time.  Every day I wake up to face a new day, I need to give thanks to the Lord that I have another day!

On the Saturday before Mom & Dad died, we had a family gathering at my daughter's home in Edwardsville, IL.  She and her husband are expecting their first child and they had just found out the sex of the baby.  Sarah made all of us travel to her home for the unveiling.  She wasn't telling anyone...not even her own mother!  We had a wonderful time visiting together.  My brother, however kept texting and running in to check things on the computer.  He was trying to help his daughter find a good deal on a rental car since she was leaving for a Florida vacation.  He was so preoccupied that it was almost as though he wasn't there.  It certainly didn't occur to any of us that this would be our last family gathering with Mom & Dad.

I'm not saying this to make my brother feel bad.  He was simply trying to help his daughter.  He lived near Mom & Dad and visited them often.  He had no idea that would be the last time we would be together with them.  The problem is that none of us have any guarantees about tomorrow.

I found a note of Dad's regarding time.  Here's what he wrote:

  "How Do We Spend Our Time?"
Fasting our time.  There are 168 hours in a week.
         56 hours to sleep
         50 hours for work/school
         20 hours for getting ready and eating meals
         15 hours for recreation (sports, entertainment, hobbies, etc)
Total 141 hours 
27 hours left for Bible study, prayer, worship, and interceeding.
What are we doing with our time?

Good question, Dad.  What am I doing with my time?  Am I using it in such a way that it will have eternal effects?
Psalm 63:5 (The Message)
"I eat my fill of prime rib and gravy; I smack my lips. It's time to shout praises! If I'm sleepless at midnight, I spend the hours in grateful reflection. Because you've always stood up for me, I'm free to run and play. I hold on to you for dear life, and you hold me steady as a post."

Ever since Mom & Dad died I've had trouble sleeping.  Once I'm asleep I have trouble getting up.  God has really been dealing with me about getting up early enough to have a decent quiet time with Him before getting on with my day.  My schedule is really messed up!   From now on if I can't sleep, I'll spend the hours being grateful to God for all He's done for me.  I'm going to do my best to get up earlier.  Then perhaps I'll sleep better.

Proverbs 6:10 (The Message)

"So how long are you going to laze around doing nothing?
   How long before you get out of bed?"


27 hours...hmmm...can I spend that long in Bible study, prayer, praise, and worship?  I'm certainly going to try!

No comments:

Post a Comment